Saturday, January 15, 2011

New Callings!

Greg and I have been in our ward for about 7 months. We have loved our ward.  It is an older ward with many elderly couples. Its so fun having a bunch of grandparents in our ward. One of the ladies in the Relief Society presidency reminds me of Betty White. I just love her. There are also a lot of newlyweds. With all the old people they have plenty of room in their house and rent out the basements to newlyweds. So there are a ton of kids are age plus the older ones. Its just a great ward.


I was called as the book club leader. I could not believe it! I do not read. I have never been in a book club. I do not know anyone in the ward that great. I was shocked they called me. To my surprise I actually really enjoyed this calling. The first meeting I show up at they all say its nice to have someone who doesn't have white hair in the group. I'm not kidding, everyone is in there 70's. They were so much fun. They told me how the group used to be a lot bigger but everyone kept dying. I was laughing so hard. But trying to pick out books for older women was extremely hard. They were very sensitive so I had to be careful on what I suggested. I was starting to get worried with the new year coming. It was time to pick new books and I wanted to make sure I was getting the right ones for them. Greg did not have a calling and I was a little bit jealous. We had been there for a while and it was so weird that he had not received one yet. Well that changed.


We got a call from an executive secretary from the BYU 22nd Stake. We had no idea what ward this was. We were in the Sharron East stake, who was the BYU 22nd? They asked us to come meet with the stake president, we agreed and started to get a little curious. We went to our appointment and was told that Greg had been referred for a counselor in the bishopric. I was in shock! So they had us come in to get to know us and get the revelation they needed. They told us we would hear back in 4-6 weeks. 4-6 weeks!! Are you kidding me. That is such a long time to wait and see if you will be switching wards and getting new callings. Well 2 weeks later the president came to our house and offered Greg the calling. He accepted. So we are now in the BYU 188th ward. He is the second counselor. How crazy is that. Greg is 25 and I am 22... we are not old enough, but they think we are.

        Greg was getting ready to leave for his meetings and I just had to take a picture.  Look at all those manuals!                               

Last week was our first week. It was such a crazy feeling. I had been in student wards before, but not when I was married! So this is a little different for us. Many of the ward members are older then we are, its just so different. But church was amazing. It is such a great ward and I was so impressed by the teachers and the lessons they had prepared. I feel like they are so much more spiritual then I am. We also went to ward prayer that night and FHE on Monday. I loved FHE! We got to meet so many of the members and  try to get to know them. There are a ton so it might take us a while to meet everyone. But after FHE Greg and I talked about this new adventure we were on. We were so excited. We know that it is the perfect thing for us right now and will help us get even closer to our Heavenly Father. This will bring so many blessings to us and keep us on the right track.


Greg is going to do such a good job at his calling. He is a little nervous, but is feeling great about it. As for me, I also got a calling. I will be teaching Marriage Prep. I think I am more nervous  for mine then Greg is for his. I have never taught before in my life! I have been married for 8 months and never took a marriage prep class. This is going to be a new thing for me. But I am excited, I think it will be fun and help me in my marriage. I will continue to learn things that I can apply to my life. So it will be great. At lest I hope. Wish us luck!!

1 comment:

  1. Ali! No Way! Michael and I just barely got released from the BYU 191st Ward bishopric! It was SO much fun! I am sure you guys will both love it and it will be such a blessing in your life! I can't wait to hear more about it...P.S. Um, I kind of blog stalked you! :) Hope that's okay! :)

    ReplyDelete