Tuesday, June 14, 2011

They call him Dr. Cannon

I mentioned in my last post about how Greg's dad (Rex) fell off a ledge during their riding trip and cut open his leg. Here is the story of what happened.

Every June Greg and his dad and a lot of their friends take a week long dirtbiking trip down in Southern Utah.  Greg looks forward to this every year and loves it! This year they had 41 guys on bikes down there! That is a lot of people hahah. Rex and a few of his friends started this tradition right out of high school and have gone every year since. The group has grown as they have had kids and have made some new friends. But one this is the same. This is an all guys trip. No women are allowed....unless you come to cook. I was asked numerous times by Rex if I would like to come and cook for everyone. I didn't take him up on it. I have seen videos of what goes on during that week and heard so many stories... I would rather not be a part of it.

This year they went on a ride on Saturday and stopped to eat some lunch and just relax a little bit. Rex had just bought a new camera and loves to take pictures! This man always has a camera on him or is snapping pictures with his phone. They had stopped somewhere with a great view so he had to take some pictures. He was standing on a 10ft ledge when it gave out and he fell onto lava rock. Lava rock is extremely sharp and scary. He fell and cut open his leg. Greg says he was so lucky that he did not hit his head or have worse injuries from falling that high onto lava rock. They got him up the cliff and could see blood dripping out of his riding boot! They took of his boot and saw a giant gash in his leg. They tried to put him back together with what they had but he needed stitches. So Greg, Rex and his friend Greg ( who my husband is named after) hopped on their bikes and headed to a highway that was close to find a hospital. They rode 25-30 miles on their bikes to find one. They were on a dirt road for awhile and that was to hard on Rex's leg, so he road with his foot dangling for a good portion of the ride.

They finally reached the hospital and Rex got stitched up. Greg has video of that, but I wont share that with you. They had to numb him up and clean out the gash in his leg. When Greg called me that night to tell me what happened he told me that his dad got 7 stitches. I did not think that was very many and figured it was just a little cut. Boy was I wrong! It was only 7 stitches but it was more like fishing line then stitches. I could not believe how thick it was!

Is that not a pretty good gash in his leg! I could not believe it. And he cut up a little of his knee as well. Oh and he dented his brand new camera. I  think he was most upset about that!

 Saturday night it had been a week since he fell and it was time for the stitches to come out. Rex is like any other man who will not go to the doctor to get them out, so it was up to Greg to do it. Greg was actually pretty excited, and it would be good practice for him. He will be taking out stitches when he becomes a physical therapist. His little sister Kathy was also pretty excited, she is going into the nursing progam. This was perfect practice for those too, and is that not what dads are for? Helping their kids with their futures... even if that includes getting stitches removed!



Greg with his instruments getting ready to remove!



I can't remember why Camille is laughing... but I'm sure something funny happened!



Greg taking out the stitches.



All the stitches on the gross bandage.



Cleaning it up after and applying Neosporin. Don't you just love the gloves! He was pretty legit!



The finished result! Isn't that a nasty cut! I could not believe it. It is healing up really good but was so deep! That is going to be one ugly scar!

Greg and Kathy did such a good job taking out the stitches! It was so funny to watch them take turns and be so excited to do it. We all had little jobs. I was incharge of documenting by taking pictures and videoing it. Greg and Kathy took out the stitches. Rex held the light and Camille....she was their for moral support. It was actually kind of fun to be there and watch it. We had a lot of fun and were laughing the whole time. Everytime we go over to their house Greg checks the cut to make sure it is not infected. I am so proud of him for all he knows and being so good at first aid stuff. He will be a great physical therapist.

Last night it was time to switch from gauze to a band aid. I pointed out that it would hurt to take the band aids off with all of his leg hair so out came the razor! Greg was such a good son and shaved his dad's leg with his mom's razor haha. Oh it was so great! I really wish I would have had my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment